Wednesday 14 December 2011

Body movement & Vision

...As I was trying to discover what is that I am interested in, Ι found myself recalling places and images I have seen, attempting to understand what is it so special about them that my memory retains them.

The building that came to my mind was Rotonda Foschini, part of the communal theatre of Ferrara. I first went there when I was in my first year in architecture school.
I still can remember my tutors saying: "go, go and lie down"(?) when entering the courtyard.And so I did..
I deliberately chose these two different photos which, in my opinion, suggest two quite different views of the same building.
What struck me then, while contemplating these pictures, is the most obvious thing. Our physical location, which results from our conscious body movement, affects the way we're experiencing space through our vision.




 Meaning... You "have to" lie down to get this amazing perspective...but then again you might not..
 Antonio Foschini, Cosimo Morelo, "Rotonda Foschini", Ferrara Italy 700ad



"...It is also true that vision is attached to movement. We see only what we look at...All my changes of place figure on principle in a corner of my landscape;they are carried over onto a map of visible."
Merlau Ponty, Eyes and mind

No comments:

Post a Comment